STeP by OEKO-TEX® stands for Sustainable Textile & Leather Production and is a certification system for environmentally friendly and socially responsible production sites along the supply chain. STeP by OEKO-TEX® aims to continuously improve production conditions and occupational safety in all areas of the company.
Precondition for Certification
The certification process includes an online assessment tool to collect all necessary operational data and a subsequent company audit to verify the information provided. The prerequisite for STeP by OEKO-TEX® certification is that the production sites meet at least 70% of the so-called basic questions as well as all exclusion criteria.
STeP by OEKO-TEX® enables the company to take a holistic view of production conditions under sustainable aspects and includes analysis and evaluation within the framework of six core modules:
- Chemicals Management
- Environmental Management
- Environmental performance
- Social responsibility
- Health and safety at work
- Quality Management
The certification involves a three-step scoring
- Level 1: Entry level
- Level 2: Good implementation with further optimization potential
- Level 3: Exemplary implementation in terms of a best practice example
Each production facility receives a detailed STeP report including all results of the evaluation tool and the audit.
What Does STeP by OEKO-TEX® take into Consideration?
- Services already provided and certificates such as ISO 14001, ISO 9001, SA 8000 or BSCI can be integrated
- For wet production sites, DETOX TO ZERO by OEKO-TEX® is part of the STeP by OEKO-TEX® certification. This is used to analyse chemical management with regard to the goals of the Greenpeace detox campaign and the ZDHC MRSL requirements
- The STeP by OEKO-TEX® certificate is the prerequisite for MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX®, the product label for articles tested for harmful substances and produced in a sustainable way.